The XR Brain Jam brings together researchers and game developers to explore the frontiers of XR. Those wishing to participate must complete the application here. We encourage developers to apply with as a team of fellow developers if possible. Participants will be selected based on a combination of their individual skill and experience, as well as the need to balance the overall makeup of the jam teams.
All participants must attend the entire jam event, which begins 6pm Friday June 14th and concludes at 8pm Sunday June 16th. Participants are also strongly encouraged to attend the XR for Change Summit on Monday June 17th, where work from the jam will be presented.
Additional Guidelines for Researcher Applicants:
- Must be involved in active and ongoing research (all research domains are welcome)
- Excited to explore the potential for XR technologies (such as virtual reality, augmented reality, etc) in their research (no prior experience with XR technologies required)
- Desire to collaborate with developers, both during the jam and possibly afterwards
- Ability to convey their area of expertise and research to non-experts
Additional Guidelines for Developer Applicants:
- Familiarity with developing for one or more XR platforms (such as Vive, Rift, Hololens, etc).
- Access to development equipment to bring to the jam (the jam will provide at least 1 XR platform headset and one development computer- teams are responsible for additional equipment)
- Interested in collaborating with researchers, both during the jam and possibly afterwards
- Prior experience working with subject-matter experts a plus, but not required
- Developers are encouraged to apply as a team. Individual developers will be considered but priority will be given to those applying with complete developer teams with the skills needed for XR prototyping.
It is free to apply to the XR Brain Jam.
Accepted participants are asked to pay $50 (per person) to reserve their spot in the jam.
Special Alumni Discount: XR Brain Jam is excited to welcome return attendees! The $50 spot reservation fee will be waived for returning participants who attended the 2017 or 2018 Brain Jams.
Complimentary food will be provided for all participants, including 2 lunches and 2 dinners, as well as breakfast foods and other snacks and drinks. Additionally, all accepted participants will receive a full-access pass to the Games for Change Festival, June 17-19 (see below for more on this pass.)
Participants are responsible for their own transportation and accommodations for the jam. Games for Change will provide recommendations for nearby hotels, some of which may have special pricing for jam and festival attendees.
Participants will receive a full-access pass to the 2019 Games for Change Festival, June 17-19 (normally $429). Attending the Festival is not a requirement of participating in the jam, but is encouraged. Work from the jam will be presented at the Festival on Monday, June 17th as part of the XR for Change Summit. All jam attendees will be invited to demo their work. A selection of teams will be asked to present their work in a special session as part of the XR for Change Summit.
(Note: If you purchase a Festival pass directly and then subsequently are accepted to the XR Brain Jam, we will work with you to have your pass cost reimbursed.)
Additional benefits for participants include:
- Company/University logo in the XR for Change Summit program (Must provide written permission from your organization; subject to printing deadline)
- Company/University logo on the G4C Festival Website (Must provide written permission from your organization)
- Social Media shoutouts
- Networking Opportunities with researchers and XR developers
- Opportunity to meeting leaders from investment in healthcare and other industries
- The chance to present your jam work at 2019 XR for Change Summit
Teams are allowed to develop with any XR equipment they prefer. The jam will provide each team with at least one VR ready computer and a set of VR hardware. Participants are expected to bring their own laptops or computers.
Theresa Lang Community and Student Center, Arnhold Hall
55 West 13th Street
New York, NY 10011
- March 6th: Applications open
April 12thExtended! April 26th: Applications close
- April 17th: First round of acceptance notifications
- May 3rd: Final round of acceptance notifications
- May 15th: Teams finalized
- June 14th: Jam Event (6pm start time)
- June 16th: Private Showcase Event
- June 17th: Public showcase at XR for Change Summit @ Games for Change festival